ReneePaule

ReneePaule

Secret Title … but here’s a snippet of my chapter 'Sensation, Desire and Relevant Reflections'

I hope to publish this book before the end of the summer 2015 …

Here's a 'snippet' from my chapter called:

Sensation, Desire and Relevant Reflections

We need so little but, desire so much.

Whilst walking past my local bakery I was stopped in my tracks by a tantalising smell. I was unable to make out if it was sweet or savoury but felt odd sensations that resembled ‘cravings’. Regardless, the event was full of flavours, urges, feelings of pleasure and the irresistible ‘come and get me’ invitation that at one time would’ve had me walking through the door in an instant carrying out further ‘investigation’. It was while I was lost in these pleasant evocations that it occurred to me what a wonderful and interesting thing had happened; it was all from sensual memory. How is it, I wondered, that I’ve vastly different aromatic experiences when passing a fishmonger’s shop; evoking less appealing memories? It was at that moment I decided to write about the abstract human trait that we call, desire.

Desire is a ‘loaded’ word generally associated with having sexual, gastronomical, financial or religious overtones ...

Sexual - to be desirable to or by another.

Gastronomical - to desire food; for pleasure (excess?). Desire is not a word we use to describe the needs of people who are starving; food is essential.

Financial - to bring us security; to eliminate personal lack of anything we want in this world for the duration of our lifetimes - but not beyond. Need is an entirely different thing; clothing, food and shelter.

Religious - to bring us the greatest and most elusive prize of all; Heaven - if we manage to conquer our desires for anything other than God - but not until we die.

Little wonder our focus is on the first three of these; they’re attainable within our lifetime. We’ve heard the word ‘desire’ or seen images being used in the above contexts more than any other - through subliminal messages and a great deal of early (often religious) conditioning. I told a few friends that I’m writing a chapter called ‘Desire’ (original chapter title) and asked what their initial reaction was to that word. To one it meant an expensive new car and to others it was an exciting new partner, improved personal appearance, happiness or an increase in wealth; things we’re conditioned to set our sights on. Interestingly, the desire for answers to fundamental questions about the ‘meaning of life’ were not mentioned. Are we so lost in ourselves that these questions have become undesirable? One person did say they desire ‘world peace’ but hadn’t thought about how it might be attained; ‘world peace’ has no more meaning to most people than any other throwaway cliché. In order to understand what desire is we first need to erase our conditioning through a process of enquiry - then look at it afresh. Without questioning the disorder in the world, we can’t expect to create order.

~~~

Uh uh ... that's it for now :) However, I'll be announcing this book shortly and plan on putting it up for a pre-publication giveaway on Goodreads. First, I must write the blurb; everything else is already prepared including a gorgeous book cover.

Much love,